On a day I was rejoicing, my friend was mourning.
It's so easy to take our lives for granted.
She lost her big koko who had his whole life ahead of him. Her sharing was honest, heartfelt, a tribute to a brother and role model. I can't imagine how much grief I myself would feel if one of my brothers shared the same fate.
No one deserves this suffering.
But we took comfort in knowing He understood. When Lazarus died, Jesus grieved because He was touched by the mourners' grief, not because of his friend's death because death is not the end of life.
I was so sure I would have a different mindset towards life after attending the funeral. Think about it. On one's birth anniversary, there is a celebration in memory of a departed life, so close to home.
Living is a blessing. Every breath could hold so much meaning.
I felt like I was going to treat everyone differently, telling people I meet how life is so precious. Who knew, right after that I flew over the sea, got consumed by the oh-so-familiar culture of ambition and conformity. I reverted to the 'smiling, giggly, eager to please' self-absorbed persona.
I met friends on a wonderful trip (Thanks Chuen, Hexen, Chook Teng, Derek and Teng =]) and was so caught up in the excitement of a trip that those thoughts never entered my mind.
I'm gonna try to remind myself that 'Life is a gift, not a right' (whenever I think life is tough and miserable) as was expressed by her brother Jonathan when he was diagnosed with cancer. He said those words to comfort his mom, not even himself.
Thank You Lord for another day to live the life You gave me.
And thank You for the people you've blessed me with, everyone I've met.
And another recollection from "Tuesdays with Morrie": We're not separate little waves, we're part of an ocean. The ocean of humanity.
Hello again
4 months ago
8 comments:
Live life to the fullest right?
hehe..agreed julia..ppl seem to take things for granted all the time..even as i am saying this..hmm...anyway i'm reading tuesdays with morrie after reading yr blog! :D
ibnuazlan: yep =)! and love is a verb. I think I have to agree with a friend's CPT argument (though he didn't follow it through, it was just an idea). Love is the solution to life's problems. whoo. (something along that line). hmm, does what I said have anything to do with living life to the fullest.. haha. yes! =]
lilian: oh yay lilian! :D So glad to hear you're reading it =) And yeah, I feel like I'm taking my family for granted right now even, seeing how my mum is calling me down for lunch and I'm here on the virtual world. I shall resist the temptation of quoting more ideas from the book so that you can discover them yourself as you go along =]
Life is a gift, life's a blessing. It's believed that we live our lives more for the sake of others, more than that of ourselves. In that we would appreciate life more and contribute to the well-being of others. If it's more for ourselves, we would leave it to the rotten state of self-absorption and individualism.
I believe in living life to the fullest.
"Tuesdays with Morrie" is the best book I've read from Mitch Albom. I was touched earnestly and realised the truth in the old man's wisdom of words. Perhaps you would contribute too by quoting more from the book so that we can recall its essence. Quite sad that I have forgotten most part of it. :<
Thanks for sharing.
ding: yeap, I agree again =]. Putting others first before ourselves can give us a sense of noble purpose.
I've yet to read 'for one more day'. Bro said it was featured on Oprah and sounded like a real good read.
I was scratching my head trying to recall more of "Tues with Morrie" and I can finally say my memory power is still existent. One knows how to live upon learning how to die. Morbidity =s
I'm sure there're more ideas played on lighter notes. =p
that was beautiful. thank you :)
jessica: dun mention it dwarhling :) hahahh! remember what 'don't mention' means? :P I DON'T mean it that way! ;p
sorry phingp, permit me to indulge in my long-time companion, the obsessive compulsive disorder.
instead of dun mention it, i shall say, 'glad to hear that!' cuz i wuud appreciate if u mention it.
wahlao. OCD to a whole new level. oh dear.
Post a Comment