edited;[Umm, I just realized it sounds as if I wrote this article. Credits go to Donna Nelson, who helps to write for 'Daily Meditations'. Eeek, I could have been sued for plagiarism = s]
"In today's Gospel we hear Jesus telling His apostles how they should pray, but before He tells them He says, "Your heavenly Father knows what you need before you ask." If God knows before we ask, why then should we pray at all?
The point isn't so much that God knows what we need, but that, we don't!
By listening and pondering the words of the Lord's prayer, we learn what it is we really need and by learning, we can begin to seek it, instead of just floundering around and searching for, who knows what?
What is it then that we need? It is to know that it is God who gives us our daily bread, that we need our transgressions forgiven and to forgive others, that we need not to be led into temptation and to be delivered from evil.
That, perhaps, is why Jesus gave us the Lord's Prayer, so that we would have words to help recognize what we need and what we should do: long for the coming of His kingdom, and to do His will here and for all eternity. Amen."
Sometimes, I wonder if I've been keeping myself busy with unnecessary things. Well, yeah, I am (especially by browsing blogs and friendster).
Sometimes, I wonder if what I'm about to do is the path He wants me to take.
Sometimes, I wonder why I'm not trying or willing to surrender it all up to Him. Why am I not brave enough to be 'undignified' for Him when I worship?
I also wonder what it would be like if everyone longed for the coming of His Kingdom, and dedicated their lives to doing His will.
Hello again
4 months ago
7 comments:
hey nice blog =)
(everything stated down there is just opinion so dont take it too seriously =p that is, if those statements in ur post were questions =p)
"Your Father knows what you need before you ask." - Matthew 6:8.
Why should we pray at all?
Let's look at Christianity from another perspective. Think of it as a relationship. In the same sense, prayer is a form of communicating with God. And as our one and only heavenly Father, it's only right that He knows exactly what we need.
The reason we pray is to form and maintain a relationship with Him and even draw ourselves closer to Him.
Take for example: Your best friend wouldn't be your best friend at all had you both not communicated with each other wouldnt it? In the same way, we pray so that we may have a more intimate relationship with God. But of course, we already have all we need. It's just a matter of opening our eyes. Or have the Spirit do that for us =p
And of course, prayer can be in any form. Just having a normal conversation with Him, singing, reading His word and even living your life the way He taught you. The reason why most catholics find it boring is because we repeat the same prayers over and over again. Most of us have never been exposed to the fact that prayer can be in any form. And there is in fact, no formula for prayer but the Lord's prayer is a good place to start, and in the gospel, Jesus gave them a starting point so that they then would be able to communicate with God since they didn't know how to.
Sadly though, most people do not even bother to ponder on the words of prayer. And without that, it just becomes a meaningless chant. And it really makes me think if that's the reason why so many people are feeling so empty in their lives (coz personally it happens to me too =p). Yes, God is all we need.
i'm guessing that if everyone longed for His coming and dedicated their lives to doing His will, the world wouldn't
be called the world anymore. it would be called paradise =)
Thanks again Kelvin =)
The wisdom up there still amazes me. Don't try to deny it. =]
you're welcome =] nah. it's not me. just the spirit of the Lord doings it's work =] (can i deny now then? =p)
Proverbs 3:5-6
Isaiah 43:10
be blesseed!! =]
heys juju!!! wahh what a deep blog bout christianity...and yea...we pray not necessarily to ask what we want but rather, to communicate with Lord. God is like our father, and we are His children. Imagine a father being left out because his children spent more time with their friends rather than with him. It's the same thing as God. Since we cannot meet Him face to face, the only way of communicating and to bond with Him is through prayers.
haha seems like i rant a lil too much once again ahaha...
kelvin: Okay :D
Be blessed!!
Uh oh, I've still yet to look those verses up =s (maluuu) *sloth trait proves itself*
bao2: Thank you for your thoughts bao bao =)
haha i'm famous for complaining and commenting too much lol...
Post a Comment