A post in anticipation for Ash Wednesday.
"As they were going along the road, someone said to him,'I will follow you wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.' To another he said, 'Follow me.' But he said, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' But Jesus said to him, 'Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.' Another said, 'I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.' Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.'
This passage was formerly one of the scariest passages I've come across.
First of all Jesus sounds like a jerk, 'let the dead bury their own dead'??. Sheesh man, show some sympathy here.
He also sounds extremely demanding: 'No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God'.
I was given this passage during the Busy Students' Retreat 2-3 weeks back. After praying and begging the Holy Spirit to help me understand.. something I'm definitely not used to doing, as I have been a lazy bible reader most of my life, I understood, and I wanted to run along my hallway with jumps of joy!
I now call this passage, 'Jesus' Advice to Would Be Followers'.
"As they were going along the road, someone said to him,'I will follow you wherever you go.' And Jesus said to him, 'Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.'
It's not going to be easy following me, you're going to have hard times
To another he said, 'Follow me.' But he said, 'Lord, first let me go and bury my father.' But Jesus said to him, 'Let the dead bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.'
Don't dwell on the past. You live in hope for what is coming!
Another said, 'I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.' Jesus said to him, 'No one who puts a hand to the plough and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.'
Keep trusting and work for His glory
This insight has helped a few people in their own understanding of the passage, maybe sharing it here will help someone out there too.
Here's to the Lenten season!
Plus, a quote shared by a friend:
He who saves one life saves the world entire
(Schindler's List?)
[Just back from a trip to Missi :D T'was really really great seeing you all! Hospitality to the max wahlao :p Yummy sorely missed food and just seeing friends I rarely get to see =)]
Hello again
4 months ago
3 comments:
I changed my blog URL
www.angie415.vox.com
:)
Keep in touch!
:D
angie: definitely :D!
ding: =D
Post a Comment